The latest news on events and happenings in and around Rio Vista. Check back often for updated info!
This month we will be voting for a new District 4 Commissioner. Please come to Embassy Suites tomorrow 1/3/18 to hear why each Candidate thinks he should have your vote.
Free self parking & cash bar.
Meet & Greet 630pm
Moderated Forum Begins at 7pm
Embassy Suites Hotel
1100 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
The following is an excerpt from the latest Rio Vista Patrol log. The full logs can be read here.
1600 I have been a policeman for 31 years and I have seen my share of some pretty amazing things, however; with that said today was a first for me. I am traveling on SE 9 Ave when I observed a golf cart with a large leather sofa mounted onto its roof?? As ridiculous as it looked, I enjoy a good resting sofa as much as anyone and I absolutely love to play golf so the entire concept of this combo had me deeply intrigued.
As I turned around to follow the “lazy boy on wheels” it turned immediately onto SE 10 Street and disappeared out of my view for a few moments. As I also turned onto SE 10 Street, I immediately noticed the golf cart was now neatly parked in a driveway with the sofa still firmly attached to its roof. The cart, however; now lacked the four young male occupants which were originally viewed nestled under the shade of this massive lounger.
The originally propsed Seawall Ordinance has been revised in preparation for the first of two readings at the June 7 commission meeting.
The major changes from the original proposal are:
Eliminates the requirement to bring current seawalls into compliance with new minimum height unless they undergo "substantial repair"
• Adds definitions for seawall, North American Vertical Datum and rip rap;
• Sets a minimum seawall elevation at 3.9 feet NAVD88 (current allowable max);
• Recommends design of seawall for future height adjustment;
• Sets an allowable maximum height of the seawall based on a property’s base flood elevation;
• Requires seawall reconstruction to the minimum elevation if the substantial repair threshold is triggered;
• Requires maintaining seawalls in good repair and sets a timeline of 365 days for completion of repairs if cited;
• Requires owners to prevent tidal waters entering their property from impacting others and sets a timeline of 365 days for remedy if cited;
• Allows fixed docks to extend 10 inches above the adjacent seawall; and
• Allows for floating docks and requires them to be permitted and permanently attached.
Key Changes from the May 3 version presented at Commission Conference:
1) Minor text changes in the title and preamble;
2) Addition of a definition for Rip Rap;
3) Allowing property owners with a finished floor elevation of less than 3.9 feet NAVD88 to seek a waiver from the City Engineer to construct a lower seawall;
4) Technical clarification related to the impermeability of the seawall to tidal flows; and
5) Relaxing of the requirement to design for future extension of the seawall to a recommendation for design.
Read the full ordinance here
RVCA, with the leadership of board member Christina Currie recently arranged to install a book lending library in Virginia Young Park. It is at the western end of the park, near 9th Ave. and the billboard. We'd like to share some guidelines to ensure the long-term success of our library.